Wednesday, January 21, 2015

A good squat day!

After Tuesday I had to take a week off because my back was really hurting me and then I went to visit some friends in New York City. But that just meant I was raring to go when I hit the gym today.

The squat rack was busy so I did my light 5 bench press first. 75 x 5 x 3 was hard but very doable.

My squats were definitely the highlight of the workout today. I had a heavy triple on the menu, so I worked up 65 x 5, 85 x 5, 95 x 3, 100 x 3, 105 x 3, 110 x 3, 115 x 3 and fiiiinally made it to 120 x 3. This was a huge mental boost to me, because 120 x 5 x 3 is where I got stuck in September. It was definitely a mental block then, and seeing myself get back to that number, even for fewer reps, felt awesome. The squats themselves felt way lighter than I thought they would, and I had the strength to probably go higher but I didn't want to risk my back. That's ok though, I definitely have the confidence to push my heavy triple and lighter 5 x 3s now. I was smiling through the whole set and grinning like a fucking idiot by the time I finished. But it was awesome!

One thing that made the difference for my hip I think was make sure to stretch out my quads, hips, and glutes and do some back warm ups before squatting. Basically I need to do my physio and a few cat-cow/up dogs before I start and my hips/back seem to be ok. I noticed a pre-hip ache pain in my quad that went away if I did the quad stretch before squatting, so that was awesome.

Then I finished up with bent over barbell rows. Those hurt my back a bit, but I could definitely feel them in my arms.


No comments:

Post a Comment