Thursday, January 22, 2015

Why it's important to recovery correctly.

Yesterday I worked out at about 12, and only had a protein shake and some candies I stole from student counselling between when I finished my workout and when I ate dinner at 7 or so. I then proceeded to stuff my face with pizza, but that wasn't enough to make up for the 6 hours during which I deprived my body of nutrients. Today everything hurt and I was tired and sore and stiff and it was hard to get moving. I eventually made it to the gym but I felt weak and tired easily and just didn't have the kind of work out I had been hoping for. This time at least I brought myself a left over slice of pizza to eat between my workout and physio, which was a good plan. I was so wrecked during physio though that I kept almost falling asleep while stretching. As soon as I got home I collapsed onto my bed and slept for an hour and a half. I didn't even have the energy to shower or change out of my gym clothes! Once I woke up I started re-hydrating in earnest and made myself dinner and food for the next few days to make sure that this doesn't happen again. The moral of the story? When you're lifting heavy, abusing your body doesn't just effect you the day of, it can last for multiple days and really fuck with your entire system.

Because of this, the OHP that should have been easy at 60 x 5 x 3 was really rough, and deadlifts were hard too. I'm determined to eat and recover better next week so that 60 lbs feels as easy as it should. Otherwise I did lat pull downs and farmer carries, and my hands hurt from all of the grip, but otherwise it was ok. The other good news is my back didn't completely give out during deadlifts, hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment